The Tradies Group ("we", "us" or "our") operates various businesses including clubs (which have electronic gaming machines, bars, and food services), hotels, and a fitness centre.
For our club business we are required by law to verify and record personal information about members and guests who use our facilities and visit our premises. For our hotels and fitness centre businesses, we also need, for business purposes, to verify and record personal information about members, guests and visitors.
We are committed to responsible privacy practices and complying with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (including the National Privacy Principles) and all other relevant legislation governing privacy and handling of personal information.
What is personal information?
Personal information is, generally, information or an opinion relating to an individual which can be used to identify that individual. This includes your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, date-of-birth and image.
How do we collect your personal information?
As part of The Tradies Group's business we collect personal information (some of which is required by law) from prospective members, members, members' guests, visitors of our clubs, hotels, and fitness centre, and users of our website.
Generally your personal information is collected directly from you when you provide your details at our clubs, hotels, or fitness centre, register on our website, subscribe to our e-newsletter, or respond to our surveys. Your personal information may also be collected through our agents, e.g. booking hotel rooms through our agent.
Risks on using the Internet
There are security risks in transmitting information via the Internet. You should assess these potential risks when deciding whether to use our online services.
What information do we collect?
The personal information that we collect depends on your dealings with us. We have outlined below the information we generally require in different situations.
- Apply for membership: We require your address, contact details, date-of-birth, e-mail address, gender, and name. We also request details of your hobbies and interests. When you first attend the club, we will sight the number on your Driver Licence, Passport, or Proof of Age Card to verify the details you provide in your application.
- Visiting our clubs: If you are a member, we require your membership card or if you are a guest or a visitor, we require your address, name, and proof of age. A guest or invitee may provide these details by having their Driver Licence scanned or by manually entering these details into the electronic system. When visiting our clubs, our staff may ask to sight your Driver Licence, Passport, or Proof of Age Card. You must provide an approved form of proof-of-age identification if requested by our staff.
- Using club facilities: A member's use of the club's facilities will be recorded, including when entering competitions, when providing their membership card for discounts or redemption of membership benefits, and when their membership card is placed in an electronic gaming machine.
- Staying at our hotels: When you stay at our hotels we require your address, contact details, and name when you make a reservation or check-in. We may require you to provide a Driver Licence or Passport to verify your personal details, including date-of-birth, at check-in.
- Joining our fitness centre: We require your address, contact details, date-of-birth, e-mail address, gender, health details, and name. A copy of your Driver Licence, Passport, or Proof of Age Card may also be required to verify your personal details.
- When you register on our website: We require your address, e-mail address, name, and telephone number when you enter a competition or order a benefit or service through our website.
- When you log-in to access the members-only website pages: We require you to enter your membership number and password to gain access to these pages.
- When you use our website: Our website server log file automatically captures your network IP address.
We generally do not collect:
- sensitive information about you unless you have consented (e.g. when applying for a job with us or joining our fitness centre); or
- information or an opinion about your criminal records, ethnic or racial origin, membership of a political association, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, philosophical beliefs, political opinions, religious affiliations or beliefs, or sexual preferences or practices.
We will only collect sensitive information where:
- we are required to do so under a law that applies to our business, for example; to comply with our obligations to maintain the security and integrity of our venues; or
- we have obtained your consent.
How we use your personal information
Your personal information is collected and used for one or more of the following purposes ("Primary Purposes"):
Club and fitness centre membership and entry
- To identify you.
- Registering you as a member of the club or fitness centre.
- Sending you information relating to your involvement in the club or fitness centre, including but not limited to events, promotions, subscriptions you have requested or consented to (e.g. newsletters), and your membership status.
- Recording your entry to the club or fitness centre as a guest, member, or visitor.
- Confirming you are permitted to enter into the club or fitness centre as a guest, member, or visitor.
- To obtain a credit report or other information from a credit reporting agency or financial services provider to assess an application for any form of credit or payment facility which may be extended or offered to you.
- To ensure you are able and suitable to use the fitness centre and its facilities.
Products and services
- Keeping you informed about our products and services.
- Providing you with any products or services you have requested, and any benefits you may become entitled to, in relation to that product or service.
- Administering and recording your registration for contests, other website features, promotions, or surveys.
- Providing you access to the members-only area of the website.
- Administering our website.
- Developing and improving the products and services that we offer you.
- Tailoring the information, products, and services we provide to you.
- Tracking database user access and changes and website usage.
- Diagnosing access issues with our website server.
- Complying with legislative requirements governing our businesses including but not limited to:
- Gaming Machine Act 2004 (ACT);
- Gaming Machine Regulations 2004 (ACT);
- Gambling and Racing Control (Code of Practice) Regulation 2002 (ACT);
- Gambling and Racing Control (Code of Practice) Amendment Regulations 2004 (ACT);
- Liquor Act 2010 (ACT); and
- Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (Cth).
Marketing and promotions
We may also inform you of any contests, promotions, special offers, or surveys we have if:
- you have consented to receiving such information; or
- such information is related to the purpose for which we originally collected your personal information.
If you no longer want to receive this information you may contact us (our contact details are listed below) at any time to cease receiving this information.
What happens if you do not provide your personal information?
If you do not provide the personal information we require, The Tradies Group may refuse:
- you entry to our premises;
- you access to our products or services; or
- to provide you with our products or services.
Disclosure of personal information
Your personal information is shared between the entities in The Tradies Group.
We may also disclose your information:
- Where we are required and authorised to do so by or under law e.g:
- if it will lessen or prevent an imminent and serious threat to somebody's health or life;
- to enforce a law; or
- where requested by a relevant regulatory authority.
- When we believe it necessary to enforce our website policies or protect our or others' rights, property, or safety.
Sharing personal information with third parties
Your personal information is shared between the entities in The Tradies Group.
We do not sell or transfer your personal information to any other third parties unless they are a third party who you have consented we share your personal information with, or who assist us with our business. These include third parties who assist us in:
- administering, developing, managing, or providing our products or services, including the members-only area of the website;
- operating our business;
- developing, maintaining, or reviewing our business operations, procedures, structure, and systems;
- obtaining credit reports; or
- collecting outstanding debt.
Examples of third parties who generally assist us include advertising agencies, advisors, call centres, customer research agencies, mail houses, postal service providers, and printers. We use reasonable endeavours to ensure they keep your personal information private.
Surveillance of The Tradies Group premises
The Tradies Group premises are fitted with audio and video surveillance for security reasons.
Any recorded actual or suspected illegal or undesirable activities on our premises may be shared with law enforcement bodies and regulatory bodies.
Accuracy of your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, disclose, or use is accurate, complete, and current. These steps include maintaining and updating your personal information when we are advised by you that your personal information has changed, and at other times as necessary.
Security of your personal information
Personal information we hold is stored as:
- Electronic files - on secure servers in restricted premises; or
- Paper files - in secure cabinets in restricted premises.
We will use reasonable endeavours to protect the personal information we hold from disclosure, loss, misuse, modification, or unauthorised access.
Generally, where any personal information we hold is no longer required it is de-identified or destroyed.
Your privacy on the Internet
We take reasonable care to ensure that any personal information you give us through our websites is protected and secure. Our website host and provider uses multilayered security architecture to protect unauthorised access, alteration, or deletion of any personal information you give us through our websites.
You should keep any access codes or passwords that you have confidential. They are used to control your access to our products and services and are important in helping us to maintain the integrity of our Internet services and the security of your personal information.
Links to third party websites
We provide links to third party websites. These linked websites are not under our control and we do not accept any responsibility for the conduct of operators of these websites.
We suggest that you review the privacy policies of any linked sites that you may access from our website before disclosing your personal information to them.
Accessing the personal information we hold about you
You may request we provide you with access to your personal information by contacting us (our contact details are listed below). We will require you to verify your identity and to specify what information you require.
We will provide you with access to your personal information as required and in accordance with the relevant privacy laws and any laws allowing us to withhold providing your personal information to you.
Generally, The Tradies Group will not charge you a fee for accessing your personal information. However, if the information sought is extensive, we may charge a fee to cover the cost of verifying the application and locating, retrieving, reviewing, and copying any material requested. We will advise you of the likely cost before we proceed.
Correcting the personal information we hold about you
If you are aware of any error or inaccuracy in the personal information we hold about you, please contact us (our contact details are listed below) as soon as possible to update your personal information.
If you are a member, you can update your details directly through the member area on our website (thetradies.com.au).
How to make a complaint
If you wish to make a privacy-related complaint about us, please contact us (our contact details are listed below).
What happens to my complaint?
- When we receive your complaint we will contact you when reasonable to let you know that we have received it.
- We will use reasonable endeavours to investigate your complaint and aim to resolve it. We may contact you for further information.
- We will write to you and let you know the outcome. We will use reasonable endeavours to resolve your complaint within 30 (thirty) days however some complaints are more complex and take longer. We will keep you informed if this is the case.
- If for some reason we cannot investigate your complaint (for example, the issue is outside The Tradies Group's responsibilities), we will write to you and let you know.
The Tradies Group
PO Box 498
When purchasing from The Dickson Tradies (Canberra Tradesmen's Union Club Limited) or The Woden Tradies (Woden Tradesmen's Union Club Limited) credit-card information is transmitted via an application programming interface (API).
Items (excluding tickets) purchased from thetradies.com.au Online Store can be exchanged or returned for a full refund if provided back to The Tradies in original condition (including packaging and tags) within fourteen (14) days of receipt. Tickets are non-refundable.
Shipment for all items available for purchase from thetradies.com.au Online Store is free within Australia, or $10 for Express Post (via Australia Post). Items are also available for collection directly from The Dickson Tradies. Orders containing multiple items - including item/s not currently in stock - will be fulfilled immediately, with the unavailable stock shipped when available.